About Rationally Speaking
Rationally Speaking is a blog maintained by Prof. Massimo Pigliucci, a philosopher at the City University of New York. The blog reflects the Enlightenment figure Marquis de Condorcet's idea of what a public intellectual (yes, we know, that's such a bad word) ought to be: someone who devotes himself to "the tracking down of prejudices in the hiding places where priests, the schools, the government, and all long-established institutions had gathered and protected them." You're welcome. Please notice that the contents of this blog can be reprinted under the standard Creative Commons license.
Tuesday, September 20, 2011
how I answered them.
* In defense of naturalism. As a naturalist, I find this defense pretty darn unconvincing.
* Keynes: the sunny economist.
* Is Texas about to give us yet another dangerous dumb ass for President?
* New Atheism: Kitcher better than Dawkins?
* When superstition kills via mind-body connection.
* My Amazon review of Martha Nussbaum's Not for Profit: Why Democracy Needs the Humanities.
* When neuroscientists and philosophers of mind clash.
* Stop talking about evil and do something about evildoers.
* Michelle Bachmann takes never ending liberties with reality.
* Epicureanism: the most important underestimated engine of the Renaissance?
* My interview with Gelf Magazine about humanism and skepticism.
* Here is how low CNN has sunk. Not to mention the Tea Party. Let's kill the uninsured.
* Corporations as bad spouses.